Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Do you know these characters, oops, I mean caricatures?

TQL's esteemed expert on collecting antique quilts, Laura Fisher (who writes the regular feature For All It's Worth), sent over a request for our readers: have you any information you can share about this 1903 quilt from New Hampshire? The blocks have inked caricatures of folks that she thinks might have been real people in the Keene area at the time. The one shown below is inscribed "Thou art my own love. —Burton J." Laura is hoping to find out "the who, where, and why" of this quilt. I'm always amazed to see the unique examples that Laura comes up with for her TQL articles. Those one-offs must still be out there for today's collectors to scout out. Her column is like the Antiques Roadshow for antique quilt collectors and dealers. When I grow up, I'm want to travel the country hunting up treasures like these. I hope there are a few left when that time comes! Coming up in the October issue: a very unusual House quilt, pieced, showing the little "village" at night instead of the bright white of a daytime background. Look for it later in August on the newsstand.

No comments:

Post a Comment