Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pat picks COLOR!


We’re talking to Pat Holly, whose fabulous quilt Paisley Peacock not only graced the TQL centerfold in June but also won best in show in Paducah.
TQL: Pat, how do you choose colors for a quilt?
PH: When I am designing, next to the actual motifs and elements, color is the most important part of the process. I usually work in solid fabrics, spread out a large, mixed-up “palette” and see what new combination jumps out. While at art school, I loved the color theory class. We used colored paper to create our studies and I still have fun with paper. The class was based on the color theory of Josef Albers. His concept of “seeing” color really resonates with me – I think it is all about experimenting and seeing what colors work together. My latest quilts are made with silk fabric, which has an incredible depth of color and richness that I love!
TQL: Let’s try that!




No comments:

Post a Comment