Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More from Linda Roy about Vintage Button Bouquet

Have you reveled in the exquisite details of Vintage Button Bouquet that are shown in the February centerfold? There were numerous reasons for my love at first sight of this quilt: hand applique is my favorite quiltmaking process; Linda's workmanship!; orange in all its variations tops my favorite color list; and vintage anything catches my attention. I thought you would like to know more about the quilt's making and see more detail photos so this week, Linda will be here to tell us more. Today the topic is crosshatching.
    Jan: Straight, even crosshatch quilting is much harder than it looks. How do you keep it so even and consistent across such large areas?
Upper left quadrant with
 large crosshatched area.
    Linda: It works best for me if I can mark the entire top before quilting even begins, even before layering the quilt sandwich. I lay the quilt flat on the floor and lightly tack the edges to the boards I use for basting.
     J: There are different scales of crosshatching, wider in the wide open cheddar areas and tighter in the circles. This really adds a rhythm to the quilting.  Do you mark the smaller areas in the same way?
     L: If there are smaller blocks within the quilt, or in this case, they are circular "blocks," I carefully mark the edges all around with dots and then draw lines corner to corner. Then I can use a table for marking the individual blocks.
     J: What do you use to mark those lines?
     L: The blue Mark B Gone water soluble pen works well on lighter fabrics.
     J: Do all your quilts have some crosshatch quilting?
     L: Each quilt is different depending on the design, but I do use a great deal of crosshatching as it compliments the curved applique that I frequently use.

Next time: the "button" applique

No comments:

Post a Comment